Whitening our skin has always been a task. All of us have at least searched for the best way to whiten our skin once. Haven’t you? However, selecting one can be challenging from the million tips and tricks. Moreover, relying on cosmetics is also risky due to its unknown chemical components.
Your skin has to be protected at all costs! Hence, to protect your skin from chemical damage and help you select the best whitening technique, we bring you a list of the top 10 curated and recommended skin whitening home remedies, starting with the most powerful combination!
Lemon Juice, Honey, and Milk
Lemon juice, honey, and milk is a powerful combination for whitening the skin. According to a research study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, honey has antioxidant properties to help lighten your acne spots. Nonetheless, lemon juice is known for its antioxidant and skin-lightening properties. Raw milk has healing and nourishing properties making it a perfect ingredient in the combination. Hence, the excellent combination of lemon juice, honey, and raw milk ensures that your skin is rejuvenated, whitened, and fresh!
Procedure to make the combination:
- Mix one tablespoon of lemon juice, honey, and raw milk in a bowl.
- On mixing, start applying the mixture slowly and gently on your skin.
- Let the mixture dry and let it sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Rinse your skin with warm water.
Author’s tip: It is advisable to do a patch test for lemon juice before using it for the mixture to ensure that your skin does not irritate or develop rashes.
If preparing and mixing the combination seems like a huge task, and you are looking for faster ways, do not worry! Our following secret remedy is a single ingredient that alone does wonders! We got you.
Potatoes have been a famous skin whitening agent for many years. They are a mild bleaching agent with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Nonetheless, potatoes are also known for their hydrating properties.
Procedure to make Potato Juice:
- Cut the potato into small pieces or cubes.
- Apply the cubes or small pieces of potato on your skin, especially on areas you wish to whiten.
- Rinse your skin with lukewarm water after 20 minutes.
- You can also keep it on overnight.
- Grate the potatoes.
- Squeeze out the juice from the grated potatoes.
- Apply the juice gently on your skin using cotton balls or a soft cotton cloth.
If you end up making excess potato juice, you can also store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Author’s tip: You can also mix potato juice with honey or lemon juice. Potato juice with honey or lemon juice is also a well-known combination that can help you get whitened skin.
It’s time to move to our next most-known and excellent remedy for skin whitening!
Yogurt and Honey
Yogurt is one of the most potent agents for skin whitening. Yogurt has various elements that make it a powerful tool for skin whitening. Probiotics in yogurt help fight acne and reduce acne inflammation. Nonetheless, probiotics in yogurt also help reduce fine lines, making it a perfect anti-aging agent.
A research study published in the International Journal of Women’s Dermatology highlighted the role of probiotics in yogurt. It concluded that yogurt decreases and treats acne and protects the skin against aging and photodamage. The lactic acid in yogurt confers additional properties for skin lightening and whitening. The vitamin B complex in yogurt brightens your skin, making it more radiant. Honey, as an antioxidant, helps to fight acne.
Procedure to make the combination:
- Add tablespoons of honey to 2 tablespoons of Yogurt in a bowl and mix it well to make a smooth paste.
- Apply the mixture to your skin and keep it for at least 15 minutes.
- Wash and rinse your skin with cold water.
You can also mix turmeric or aloe vera gel in the combination for additional benefits. If yogurt does not seem like a promising agent for you, don’t worry! We have another powerful combination that will help you get your desired skin!
Papaya and Honey
Papaya and Honey is a powerful combination that can indeed whiten your skin. Papaya contains papain, an enzyme responsible for skin whitening and lightening. Nonetheless, the papain in papaya can also fade acne scars and blemish them, remove dead skin cells, and lighten your skin. Papaya is a perfect exfoliator for the skin. If you have dry skin, using papaya may benefit you a lot. The combination can be perfect for whitened and lightened skin when mixed with honey.
Procedure to make the combination:
- Peel the papaya, chop it and fill it half in a cup.
- Match the papaya until it turns into a smooth paste.
- Add one teaspoon of honey to it. Mix it well.
- Apply the paste on your skin, and do not wash it for at least 20 minutes.
- Rinse your skin first with hot water, followed by a wash with cold water. Gently dab your skin dry with a soft towel or cloth.
Author’s tip: The peel of papaya contains the highest amount of papain. Hence, you can gently rub your skin with the peel of papaya or grind the skin of papaya for mixing with honey.
Papaya indeed does wonders to your skin. Aren’t you excited to learn about another powerful remedy that has been in use for ages? If yes, Sandalwood Powder is here for you!
Sandalwood Powder is one of the most known whitening remedies that has been used for ages. Sandalwood powder has anti-inflammatory properties, with healing and nourishing properties, ensuring that your skin is in its best health. Moreover, you will always hear older parents at your home talking about the lightening properties of sandalwood. Nonetheless, sandalwood powder has a fantastic fragrance that can spread quickly everywhere. Hence, applying sandalwood feels beautiful.
Procedure to make a powerful sandalwood pack:
- Add one tablespoon of sandalwood powder to one tablespoon of almond powder. Mix it well.
- Add some milk to make it a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste on your skin and wash it after 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
Author’s tip: If your skin feels dry after washing, apply some moisturizer.
Sandalwood Powder is recognized for its long-lasting and powerful effects. However, if it’s not available at your home, you can try another remedy. This one is undoubtedly available in every household. Read on to find out about it.
One of the most commonly available ingredients, Tomato is also the most potent remedy for whitening skin. Tomato has several properties making it a perfect match for your skin. Tomato is known for its hydrating and antioxidant effects. Nonetheless, tomato is also believed to stimulate collagen production and remove dead skin cells. Tomato is most known for its moisturizing effect.
Procedure to make a Tomato Remedy for whitening skin:
- Take a tomato and make a smooth puree out of it.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice and mix it well.
- Apply the mixture on your skin and keep it for at least 20 minutes.
- Wash off the mixture with cool water.
Author’s tip: You can use the remedy mentioned above every day to ensure glowing and radiant skin.
- Mix two teaspoons of tomato with one teaspoon of yogurt and oatmeal each.
- Apply the mixture on your skin and keep it on for 20 minutes.
- Wash your skin with lukewarm water.
If the tomato on your skin feels itchy, gram flour, our following remedy is for you!
Gram Flour or Chickpea Flour
Gram Flour, one of the ancient remedies for skin whitening, is a powerful ingredient. Gram Flour has antimicrobial properties that prevent any skin infections. Nonetheless, Gram flour is an excellent exfoliator that removes dead skin cells, giving your skin a clean and fresh look!
Procedure to make a Gram Flour Pack:
- Add gram flour to an adequate amount of water or milk. Mix it well to form a smooth and consistent paste.
- Apply the paste to your face and let it dry. Once it has dried, wash it off with cold water.
- Add 2 tablespoons of gram flour, 2 tablespoons of yogurt, and 1 teaspoon of rose water in a bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients well and apply them to your skin.
- Let it stay on your skin for at least 30 minutes or until it dries.
- Wash it off with warm water and gently dab your skin dry.
Adding yogurt, milk, or rosewater enhances the whitening properties of gram flour, giving it an edge over other remedies. Let’s now learn about another powerful remedy, turmeric.
Turmeric heals, nourishes, and most importantly, whitens the skin. According to Chattopadhyay I, et al. (2004). Turmeric and curcumin: Biological actions and medicinal applications, turmeric has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. These properties of turmeric help add glow and radiance to the skin.
How to apply Turmeric to the skin?
- Add 2 to 3 pinches of turmeric to a tablespoon of yogurt.
- Mix it well and apply it to your face.
- Let the paste dry or wash it off after 25-30 minutes. You can use normal water to wash off the application.
If you are busy and won’t find enough time for making a paste, the following 2 remedies are for you! These naturally available ingredients are available in almost every household and are known for their potent skin whitening property. Keep reading to find out more.
Fuller’s earth or Multani Mitti
Fuller’s Earth or Multani Mitti is a powerful agent known for its skin whitening properties. Nonetheless, Fuller’s Earth fights acne and pimples and removes the excess oil from your skin. It is also an effective agent in removing tan and evening out the skin tone.
How to apply Fuller’s Earth or Multani Mitti?
- Mix Fuller’s Earth or Multani Mitti with milk or rose water to form a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste on your skin and let it dry. The paste usually dries in 15-30 minutes.
- Wash it off with warm water, followed by rinsing the skin with cold water.
If not Fuller’s Earth, another easily and readily available home remedy for skin whitening is rose water!
Rose Water is one of the most trending remedies for skin whitening. Rosewater washes off the impurities from the skin, providing a cool, hydrating, and moisturizing effect. According to Healthline, rose water may have anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties. Nonetheless, rose water has mild astringent properties, making your skin soft and tightening your pores.
How to use Rose Water?
- Use cotton balls to dab rose water on your skin.
- Mix a few drops of rose water with your face packs and apply them to your skin.
- On applying face wash, dry your face gently with a towel. Spray the rose water on your face and evenly and gently spread it out on your skin.
Author’s tip: Ensure that your rose water does not contain any added artificial or chemical agents. If the rose water being used is not pure, it may not benefit your skin.
Having learned about the 10 best skin whitening remedies, we are sure you might have a few final doubts. We will solve them for you with our Frequently Asked Questions section.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What to apply on the face before sleeping?
Before sleeping, apply salicylic acid, or wash your face with a face wash containing salicylic acid. Gently dab your skin to dry. Apply a moisturizer and lip balm, and go to sleep on time.
Q. Is lemon harmful for skin?
Lemon is acidic and may lead to skin irritations and dryness. Hence, always ensure that you use lemon only in small amounts, 2 to 3 drops. Before applying it to your face, a patch test with lemon can also prevent any side effects.
Q. Can we apply raw milk on our face?
Yes, you can apply raw milk to your face. Using milk may help to lighten acne and reduce the acne pain temporarily. Moreover, raw milk can work as an exfoliator and remove dirt and dead cells from the skin.
Every person wishes for whitened skin that glows and radiates. However, not all the cosmetics available in the market are affordable or suit the skin. Nonetheless, home remedies have always proved more beneficial with lesser side effects than chemical cosmetics. Potatoes, tomatoes, aloe vera, yogurt, milk, honey, turmeric, and all such ingredients available in every household can do the whitening work for you! So get up, go to the kitchen, and prepare a mask for your skin!
Drop-in a comment and tell us which out of the 10 remedies is your favorite!