Styling your hair is one of the easiest ways to elevate your entire look, either by curling or straightening them – and here is where hairspray comes into play.
Hairspray sets your hair in place, allowing your straight locks or curls to last long for more extended periods.
However, using hair spray frequently can cause residue build-up in the hair. In turn, it not just makes your hair look dull and lifeless but also deteriorates its quality.
As you continue reading this article, you will learn how to remove hair spray build-up without much hassle and some tips and tricks to protect your hair from any harm.
3 Ways To Remove Hairspray Build Up From Hair
Like any other spray or hair product, hair spray contains chemicals that can cause residue build-up in your scalp.
If not taken care of, this build-up can cause your hair to become more brittle and rough over time.
So let us look at some of the ways through which you can effectively remove hairspray build-up.
1. The Traditional Shampoo and Baking Soda Mixture
Combining baking soda with shampoo works as an effective natural remedy to remove residue build-up in your scalp.
Baking soda is free of various harmful chemicals in shampoos such as sulfates, paraben, silicons, artificial fragrances, et cetera.
However, due to its high alkaline properties, you have to be careful with the amount of baking soda and the frequency of usage.
Let us look at how to implement this method for effective results!
- A bowl or container
- Any shampoo (preferably one free of harmful chemicals)
- Baking soda
- A spoon
- A comb (preferably a wide-toothed one)
- Take a container and add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to it.
- Add some shampoo and mix the two until you form a smooth and evenly consistent liquid.
- Using a small amount of this mixture, apply some on your wide-toothed comb.
- Run your comb on dry hair.
- Keep repeating the process till every strand is fully covered with this mixture.
- Let the shampoo and baking soda sit in your hair for 10 to 15 minutes. It is believed that baking soda will eventually break down the hairspray molecules in 15 minutes.
- Rinse this mixture of your hair using warm water.
- After ending, use any shampoo and rinse your hair again to ensure no baking soda residue on your scalp.
- Use cold water to avoid overly brittle hair.
- Pat dry your hair with a microfibre towel and let your hair dry.
- Avoid using any heat to save your hair from further damage.
(Author’s Note: Avoid using this method if you have dry, brittle, or color-treated hair.)
2. Using Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar (popularly known as ACV) is a favored ingredient for improving overall health.
However, ACV has numerous applications for various home remedies. One of them is using it as a hair wash to rinse and remove build-up on the scalp while strengthening and restoring luster in the hair.
Apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid. Unlike baking soda, the acid lowers neutralizes the pH balance of your hair and restores the balance.
Moreover, apple cider vinegar contains various vitamins and minerals, along with alpha hydroxy acid (commonly known as AHA) that works as a gentle exfoliator for your scalp.
Let us look at how to use apple cider vinegar to effectively remove build-up on your scalp!
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- A cup of water
- Essential oil (optional)
- Wash and rinse your hair using your preferred shampoo and conditioner per usual.
- In one cup of water, add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- You can adjust the measurements according to your head length.
- After shampooing and conditioning, pour this water and ACV mixture on your scalp.
- Let it stay for about two to three minutes before rinsing.
- To avoid the powerful acidic smell, you may add a few drops of your favorite essential oil in the water and apple cider vinegar mixture.
(Author’s Note: Unlike combining baking soda and shampoo, using apple cider vinegar with water to remove scalp build-up is safe for dry, damaged, and color-treated hair. Moreover, it is suitable for all hair types.)
3. Using A Clarifying Shampoo
Clarifying shampoo is a trusted bet when it comes to removing impurities and build-up from your scalp.
These shampoos contain high amounts of SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate), essential for foaming and deep cleaning the scalp.
Clarifying shampoo is most commonly used after hair treatment in salons, such as keratin treatment or hair spa.
However, since clarifying shampoos contain various chemicals, they should not substitute regular shampoos and conditioners.
So, let us understand how to use a clarifying shampoo to remove greasiness and residual build-up from your scalp.
- Wet your hair per usual. You may use lukewarm water or slightly warm water.
- Take a small amount of clarifying shampoo and massage it on your scalp.
- Ensure that there is good lather to help deep clean your scalp.
- Let it stay in your scalp for about thirty seconds to one minute.
- Wash it off with regular or slightly cold water to seal the cuticles and lock in the moisture.
- Apply your favorite conditioner and rinse off per usual.
- Pat dry with a microfibre towel and let it air dry.
(Author’s Note: Since clarifying shampoos are formulated with high chemicals, they should not be used daily. Moreover, different clarifying shampoos are designed for different hair types. So make sure you use the right shampoo for your hair type.)
You May Also Like To Read:
Best Hair Pack For Hair Growth In India
Hairsprays are a lifesaver in maintaining and carrying off hairstyles for long and extended periods. They secure the hairstyle you have worked so hard to achieve and allow no scope for any budge whatsoever.
However, using hairspray is harmful to your hair for obvious reasons. They contain high amounts of harsh chemicals that ruin the texture of your hair and cause build-up in your scalp, which can get difficult to treat.
Therefore, it is necessary to limit the use of hairsprays and ensure that you use various methods and remedies to remove the build-up from your hair and scalp.
If you have tried any other method to treat your hair and scalp after applying hairspray, feel free to share them with the readers in the comment section below.
While we post more informative and helpful articles for you, make sure you stay connected with this page to stay updated.