Dark spots or hyperpigmentation are small, flat, dark patches on the skin that occur due to the excessive production of melanin, which is a pigment that gives colour to your skin.
Although they don’t pose any serious health risks, most people find dark spots annoying and thus, wish to get rid of them. If you also have a similar problem, then don’t worry, we are here to help you!
In this article, we will talk about some of the major causes of black spots and will also tell you 5 effective remedies to significantly reduce the appearance of your dark spots.
5 Major Causes Of Dark Spots
The following are the 5 major causes of black spots:
1. Prolonged Exposure To Sunlight
Prolonged exposure to harmful UV rays leads to the overproduction of melanin in the skin. As a result, black spots appear on the face.
2. Acne Or Breakouts
Acne or breakouts can also result in the occurrence of black spots on the face. Therefore, we recommend you not to touch or pick at your acne to prevent them.
Your skin starts losing its elasticity and becomes more prone to dark spots as you age. Lentigines are age-related spots that form on the skin.
4. Hormonal Changes
Hormonal changes, particularly in women, can also be a major cause of skin pigmentation. Especially during pregnancy, dark spots can occur on the forehead and cheeks of some women.
5. Certain Medications
Dark spots also occur due to the side effects of certain medications like anti-inflammatory and, non-steroidal medicines, etc.
5 Effective Remedies To Get Rid Of Dark Spots
We have made a list of 5 simple remedies that will help you to get rid of black spots:
1. Raw Milk
The lactic acid in milk helps to fade the dark spots and nourish the skin. It removes the dead cells from the upper layer of the skin. Moreover, it penetrates deeper into the skin and nourishes it with vital vitamins and minerals. Your skin can become hydrated, smooth, and flawless with the regular application of milk.
Here’s how to use milk to reduce dark spots in 2 simple steps:
- Dip a cotton ball in raw milk and apply it to your dark spots.
- Leave it overnight and rinse off with warm water in the morning.
Turmeric is an effective and easily available remedy to get rid of dark spots. According to studies, it works by decreasing the excessive melanin production of the skin, and thereby, fading the dark spots. As a result, turmeric is an active ingredient in many spot treatments and creams formulated to reduce dark spots.
Here’s how to use turmeric to fade dark spots:
- Mix 2 tsp ground turmeric with 1 tbsp fresh yoghurt and 1 tbsp gram flour to make a face pack.
- Apply this face pack onto your skin and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Wash it with lukewarm water and then use a mild face wash to get rid of the staining.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is also a popular and effective skincare ingredient. According to research, the acetic acid in apple cider vinegar can reduce hyperpigmentation and acne. Organic and unfiltered apple cider vinegar works better to treat dark spots than its other varieties.
Here’s how to use it for removing dark spots:
- Dilute equal parts of apple cider vinegar with water and apply it to your skin with a cotton pad. However, if you have a sensitive skin type, then mix water with apple cider vinegar in the ratio of 2:1.
- Let it sit for 3-4 minutes and rinse off with cold water. Repeat this process every day.
Warning: The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar can burn or irritate your skin, especially if you have a sensitive skin type. Therefore, we advise you to conduct a patch test before applying apple cider vinegar to your skin.
4. Aloe Vera Gel
Here’s how to use it to reduce dark spots:
- Apply aloe Vera gel directly on your dark spots and let it sit for 25-30 minutes. You can also leave it overnight.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water in the morning. Since aloe Vera is very mild on the skin, you can even apply it daily.
5. Topical Treatments
Apart from the easy home remedies, there are topical treatments also that can help in reducing the dark patches. These treatments come with an instructions label and must be used only after consulting a dermatologist. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, some examples of active ingredients in topical dark spot treatments include:
- Soy Extract: It reduces the appearance of black spots preventing melanin from reaching the top layer of the skin.
- Retinoids: Retinoids speed up the production of new skin cells, which helps to remove dark spots over time. However, you need to consult your dermatologist before opting for retinoid-based spot treatment.
Warning: Retinoid products aren’t considered safe are for pregnant women. Also, because retinoids can make the skin more sensitive to UV light, it’s critical to apply sunscreen before stepping outside.
- Chemical Exfoliants: They contain acids that dissolve the skin cells on the surface of the skin. Chemical exfoliants work for both sensitive and dry skin types. However, just like retinoids, they too can make your skin more sensitive to UV rays.
1. How long does it take for dark spots to fade away?
According to the American Academy Of Dermatology, dark spots that are just a few shades darker than your natural skin tone usually tend to fade within 6-12 months. However, if they lie beneath the surface of your skin, it could take months and even years to fade them.
2. Does exfoliating lighten dark spots?
Exfoliating your skin 2-3 times a week can help to remove the dead skin cells from the top layer of the skin and thereby, help to reduce the appearance of dark spots. However, you need to opt for other remedies/treatments along with exfoliation as it can’t entirely fade away dark spots.
You May Also Like To Read:
To sum up, the most common causes of dark spots include overexposure to the sun, hormonal changes, acne and, ageing, etc. While they are usually harmless, dark spots can be quite annoying for some people due to which they try to remove them.
We hope these remedies help you to reduce the appearance of your dark spots and flaunt that flawless skin. However, you need to be patient and consistent in following them as results can’t be achieved overnight.
If you have any other questions, feel free to post them down in the comment section. We will be happy to assist you!