Some women carry their body hair with pleasure, while some prefer to have smooth and hair-free legs. However, hair removal procedures like waxing, shaving, and lasers may leave bumps and redness.
Ditch your elaborative and painful waxing rituals for home remedies that are pain-free and have no side effects. Besides being less time-consuming, these DIY home remedies are easy to follow.
This article will find ways to get rid of body hair using ingredients readily available in every household.
How Fast Does the Body Hair Grow?
Hair growth is faster in males as compared to that in females. The American Academy of Dermatology revealed that it takes one month for the body hair to grow back to its full potential.
Factors such as genetics, nutrition, and the environment play a key role in determining the rate of hair growth. The hair loses its potential to grow with increasing age.
Things to Remember Before Going Through with Hair Removal Treatments
Instead of diving straight into these home remedies, you should take care of certain things beforehand.
1. Patch Test: With natural ingredients, the possibility of allergies follows. If these ingredients cause irritation and redness, you will know not to use them again. We recommend you do a patch test before applying anything to your entire body.
2. Delayed Results: It takes longer to see any evident results with natural remedies. You will observe promising results after approximately 3 to 8 months.
3. Prepping the Skin for Treatment: To make the process more effective, consider taking a hot water bath before indulging in the treatment. Hot water helps open up the skin pores. Prepping the site eases the process of hair removal.
4. Aftercare: Some ingredients used in a natural hair removal treatment suck out all the moisture and make your skin dry. Besides cleaning meticulously, It is imperative to apply a moisturizer post hair removal treatment.
8 Easiest Ways to Remove Body Hair Naturally
Applying turmeric to get rid of body hair is the most popular home remedy used by females in every family for generations. Besides getting rid of body hair, turmeric also removes tanning and leaves a soft and consistent skin tone.
Turmeric consists of an ingredient called Curcuma. According to a 2017 study in the National Library of Medicine, it was observed that Curcuma slowed the growth of hair and promoted a natural glow in the skin. Turmeric also helps in getting rid of facial hair.
How to Prepare the Blend?
- Add milk to about 3 to 4 Teaspoons of turmeric powder. Besides making it easily applicable, adding milk to the turmeric has its own set of benefits.
- Apply this uniform paste on the areas of your body that have excessive hair growth. Always apply the paste in the direction of the hair growth.
- Leave the paste on for 20 to 45 minutes.
- Take a tiny amount of water on your palms scrubbing the paste off of your body in a circular motion. Followed by washing your body with lukewarm water and gently patting it dry.
- Besides hair removal, turmeric has ample beauty and health benefits. Turmeric has wound healing properties, improves the heart’s health, fights acne, reduces pigmentation, etc.
Author’s Note: Vendors often sell impure turmeric, which contains many harmful chemicals to the skin. It is vital to use pure turmeric with no adulteration.
2. Raw Papaya
Papaya paste is an excellent long-term solution in getting rid of body hair. Papaya contains an enzyme (papain) that enfeebles the hair follicles and reduces the growth rate. Like turmeric, raw papaya won’t give you instant results. The best bet is to be patient and consistent.
How to Prepare the Blend?
- Mash the raw papaya flesh and add 1/2 tablespoon of turmeric to it.
- Rub this paste on the body. Massaging this mixture helps the blend reach the follicles.
- Leave it on for half an hour, followed by rinsing with water.
- Repeat this process thrice a week to observe a significant decline in hair growth.
Besides being a gold mine of protein, eggs also offer a range of beauty benefits, especially when combined with cornflour. The blend of eggs and cornflour is highly effective in lessening hair growth.
Eggs are inexpensive and readily available. They are especially effective in treating peach fuzz and upper lip.
How to Prepare the Blend?
- Combine 1 egg white, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 tablespoon cornflour in a mixing bowl.
- Wash and dry your arms and legs thoroughly and apply a thin mix layer.
- Leave the mixture on till it forms a film ( it will take approximately 15 to 30 minutes)
- Besides the hair, the impurities and dead skin cells present on the surface will start coming off as you peel the mask. This mixture exfoliates the skin, promoting healthier cell growth.
The natural method of using sugar to get rid of body hair has been popular in Middle Eastern countries for decades. Sugar wax is economical and easy to make.
Difference between traditional wax and sugar wax –
To begin with, natural is always better, not to mention sugar wax will have no side effects.
Getting wax done from a salon is relatively more expensive than a sugar wax prepared at home.
The salient reason why sugar wax is superior to traditional wax is that traditional wax binds with the skin, whereas a sugar wax clings to the hair pulling out the hair from the root. Hence sugar wax guarantees no irritation to the skin and minimal pain.
How to Prepare Sugar Wax?
- You will need 250 grams of sugar, 65 ml lemon juice, and 65 ml water. Add the ingredients to a pan. Stir perpetually to combine the ingredients until it comes to a boil.
- Once the mixture bubbles, turn the flame to medium, stirring constantly. Remove the pan off the flame when the mixture turns golden brown.
- Transfer the contents to a glass jar and let it cool down.
- Assure the area you are targeting for hair removal is clean and dry.
- Take some of the sugar wax and apply it with your fingers. Let it stick to the hair for a minute, then pull it off in the opposite direction with one quick motion.
- Clean the part of the body post-waxing to remove all the remnants.
5. Pumice Stone
The use of a pumice stone isn’t restricted to cleaning feet. The rough texture of the stone plucks the hair from its roots. Besides being 100% natural, it also exfoliates the skin surface. It also spares you from investing any time in preparing the mixture.
Directions of Use:
- Clean your arms and legs with a gentle cleanser and pat them dry.
- Rub the pumice stone against the skin’s surface in a circular motion. The hair will cling to the stone, eventually coming off the roots.
- As this process may leave the skin dry, it is vital to use a moisturizer to restore hydration.
Author’s Note: You should steer clear of using a pumice stone in winters, especially on dry skin.
Why just for breakfast? You could try oats for hair removal treatment as well. Oats act as an excellent scrubbing agent due to their rough texture. When you scrub the oat and banana mixture on your skin, the oats remove unwanted hair and hinder further growth while the banana soothes the skin.
How to Prepare the Blend?
- Mix one mashed banana in two tablespoons of oats to form a binding mixture
- Apply this mixture to the required body parts by slowly massaging it in the opposite direction of the hair growth.
- Let this mixture stay on for 20 to 30 minutes, followed by rinsing off with cold water.
7. Gram Flour
The use of gram flour is the most popular and age-old way of getting rid of body hair. All our grandmothers used this natural treatment in removing unwanted body hair and have been advocating for it ever since. Gram flour also extracts oil and impurities from the skin, making the skin look radiant and younger.
Directions of Use:
- Incorporate half a cup of gram flour with some nourishing oil and curd.
- Wash your arms and legs thoroughly, followed by drying them.
- Apply the paste evenly using a brush. Rinse it off after 20 minutes or when it dries out completely.
- Take some water in your hands and massage gently, scraping off the remains.
8. Potatoes and Lentils
Potatoes act as an excellent bleaching agent. They are highly acidic, which aids in lightening the skin tone, and when combined with lentils, they help eliminate body hair. Besides getting rid of body hair, this method also reduces the rate of hair regrowth over time. The potato and lentils blend pull out hair safest and present no short-term or long-term side effects.
How to Make the Blend?
- Soak 1 bowl of yellow lentils ( moong dal) overnight. Grind the moong dal into a uniform paste the following day
- Peel and grate one potato and extract the juice using a sieve or a muslin cloth.
- Add the moong dal paste, potato juice, one tablespoon of honey, and 3 – 4 tablespoons of lemon juice in a mixing bowl.
- Apply this mixture to the body parts you want to eliminate hair from (legs, arms, face).
- After it dries out completely, remove the mixture off your skin by rubbing it with your fingers. The dry lentils will take out all the unwanted hair and leave behind clean and even-toned skin.
Author’s Note: Using potatoes and lentils mixture is a popular way of naturally eliminating body and facial hair in Ayurveda.
1. Are home remedies as effective as salon treatment of body hair removal?
Have you ever heard of the location, no pain, no gain? Although hair removal methods such as waxing, shaving, and trimming are highly effective, they are just as painful. On the other hand, home remedies take longer to show evident results, but they do not present any side effects like redness and itching.
2. What is the Laser hair removal treatment?
Laser treatment for hair removal is often sought after as it brings along numerous side effects. A light beam that targets every hair follicle in a laser hair removal treatment passes through the skin. This intense beam of light damages the potential of hair follicles to grow hair.
3. Are there any downsides to shaving body hair?
The results of shaving will last no longer than 3 to 4 days. Old and dull blades can cause irritation and cuts. Shaving may cause razor burns. Other side effects of shaving body hair include inflammation in hair follicles, itching, thicker hair growth, etc.
You May Also Like To Read:
A large number of men and women consider body hair a nuisance. Shaving body hair is a recent trend among men who go to the gym and all women, except those who make a bold statement by carrying body hair with pride.
So what are you waiting for? This article covered a wide range of homemade blends to combat body hair growth with readily available ingredients. Go ahead give one of these home remedies a try and let us know your favorite in the comments box below.