Castor oil is a natural and not very expensive oil available to you in every nearby shop. Do you know what all castor oil can do for your hair? If not, then read this article to know more about castor oil and how you can apply it to your scalp and hair.
You must have seen the oil and found it very thick and sticky. But you can make it loose and apply it to your hair. How? Read on!
Castor Oil and its types
Castor oil has ricinoleic acid, omega fatty acids, Vitamin E and minerals that keep your scalp and hair cool and healthy. It also has antimicrobial and antifungal properties that prevent microorganisms’ growth, protecting you from scalp infections.
The elements present in castor oil may help you to reduce split-ends and flakes on the scalp. Applying castor oil lubricates hair and hydrates and moisturizes the scalp, increasing hair flexibility and reducing the breakage of hairs.
It also works as a conditioner softening your hair and making it frizz-free.
You can get three types of castor oil in the market, Organic, Jamaican black and hydrogenated castor oil.
1. Organic castor oil
It is the original oil with no additives. It is present in skin care products and can be used in aromatherapies. It is usually yellow as it’s pure and lighter.
2. Jamaican black castor oil
The seeds are roasted, beaten, boiled, and pressed while extracting Jamaican black castor oil. It is alkaline, making it more effective to treat skin and scalp-related issues. It increases hair growth and conditions it. Also, the oil is black because of the burnt castor seeds.
3. Hydrogenated castor oil
Hydrogenated castor oil is also known as white vegetable wax. It goes through a hydrogenation process and is present mainly in creams and lotions.
How will you apply castor oil to your hair and scalp?
Castor oil is a thick oil that you may not prefer applying to your strand. But you wish to apply it for softening and preventing hair breakage. Why don’t you dilute it and apply it to the hair strand?
We will tell you how to apply castor oil all over your hair and not get any pungent smell and stickiness.
First, remember that to reduce stickiness from castor oil, add a carrier to it, and if you are adding any oil as a carrier and still want to make it thinner, then warm both the oils.
Tips: You can also apply castor oil to wet hairs.
Let us see all combinations you can use to make the oil thin and more effective.
1. Castor oil and olive oil
Now you know what a castor is and all it can do to your hair and scalp. So, let us see what olive oil can do to your hair, mainly when applied with castor oil.
Olive oil has emollients, namely, oleic acid, palmitic acid and squalene. All of them strengthen and soften the hair by preserving moisture. It is better for the scalp if applied alone, but you can also apply it to your strands with castor oil as together they work as an effective mask for healthy hair.
How will you apply it?
- Take both the oil in the same quantity.
- Warm both and massage it to your scalp for at least 15 minutes.
- If you want to seal the moisture, tie a steamed towel to your hair and leave it for an hour or keep it as it is before taking a bath.
- Apply shampoo and wash your hair.
You can repeat this every week. And can also add hibiscus petals to the oils while heating.
2. Castor oil and aloe vera
Aloe vera has Vitamin A, C, and E, promoting healthy hair cell growth and Vitamin B12 and folic acid to reduce hair loss. The gel in it conditions your hair and reduces dandruff on the scalp.
You can apply aloe gel as it is every week to remove excess oil from your hair follicles. Let us see how to apply castor oil when added with a very effective and healthy gel to boost hair growth and make it voluminous.
How will you apply it?
- Slice the aloe vera and peel off the gel from between.
- Take one cup of gel and add 2 tbsp castor oil.
- Apply it to your scalp and hair and leave it for an hour.
- Wash it with a mild shampoo.
Again you can cover your hair with a steamed cloth or shower cap before the bath. And you can add 1 tsp basil powder and 2 tsp fenugreek powder, blend it and apply the thick paste to the hair following the same procedure.
3. Castor oil and onion juice
The sulfur in onion juice penetrates the hair follicles and supports strong and thick hair. It also enhances collagen production, which helps produce healthy skin cells and promotes hair growth.
How to apply it
- Add an equal amount of castor oil and onion juice.
- Blend them and make a paste.
- Apply it to your hair and scalp and keep it covered for an hour before bath.
- Wash your hair gently using shampoo.
You can massage your scalp with it twice or thrice a week.
Related Topic: How to Make Onion Oil (Onion Juice)
4. Castor oil and Avocado seed oil
The avocado seed oil has oleic acid and monounsaturated fats, moisturizing your hair. It makes your scalp cells healthy and reduces breakages. This oil also penetrates the shaft of your hair by strengthening it.
How will you apply it?
- Take equal amounts of olive oil, avocado oil and castor oil.
- Mix them and massage the oils to your hair and scalp.
- After a few hours, you can wash your hair.
You can apply this mixture of oil once a week.
5. Castor oil and rosemary oil
Rosemary essential oil has properties like antiseptic and anti-inflammatory. Other than this, it has the strength to wake up your dying hair by increasing blood circulation.
This oil also prevents fungal infections and may also treat hormonal hair loss.
How to apply castor oil using it
- Take 1 tbsp castor oil, 2 tbsp coconut oil and ten drops of rosemary essential oil.
- Mix and apply
- You can wash it within an hour or keep it on your scalp and hair overnight.
You can apply it once or twice a week.
6. Castor oil and Peppermint oil
Peppermint oil increases hair growth and blood circulation and may deepen follicles. The number of follicles may also increase by preventing hair loss. Castor oil and peppermint oil will nourish and moisturize your scalp and hair.
How to apply it
- Blend 1 tbsp of castor oil, 1 tbsp olive oil and ten drops of peppermint oil.
- Apply the mixture of all three oils to your scalp and strands.
- Again it’s your wish to wash your hair in an hour or after a night.
- Rinse gently using a light shampoo.
You can massage it once or twice a week.
7. Castor oil and coconut oil
Coconut oil has lauric acid that nourishes your scalp. It is thin and is quickly absorbed by your hair strand, which may prevent breakage. As you know, castor oil is thick, and coconut oil is thin.
Adding coconut oil into castor oil will quickly make it thinner. And if you heat it a little, it may become more dilute. Coconut oil also has fatty acids preventing hair damage.
How to apply it?
- Mix an equal amount of coconut oil and castor oil.
- Massage it to your scalp and also apply it to your hair strands.
- You can wash it after an hour or so using shampoo.
You can apply it twice a week.
8. Castor oil and almond oil
Almond oil has the natural antioxidant Vitamin E, magnesium, and omega-rich fatty acids. All these elements smoothen the cuticles and increase hair growth. It also prevents split ends and protects the hair from damage.
Almond oil also has oleic and linoleic acid controlling moisture on your scalp and improving hair resilience.
How to apply it?
- Take an equal amount of both the oils and apply it to your scalp.
- Wash it after an hour before bath or keep it overnight.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water and light shampoo.
You May Also Like to Read;
Castor oil is rich in elements that increase hair growth, lessen frizziness, moisturize your scalp and prevent hair damage. It is thick to apply; therefore, you can use it with carriers like olive oil, aloe vera gel, onion juice, avocado seed oil, almond oil, coconut oil, rosemary and peppermint essential oils.
After mixing castor oil with its carrier, you can apply it to the strand as it will not be thick then. You can either keep the mixture of oils on your hair and scalp overnight or wash it away in an hour. But you can not keep onion juice and aloe vera for a longer time.
We hope you found this article helpful, and do not forget to share with us in the comment section below which combination you will choose.