Cleansing the skin with a face wash is the first step in any skincare routine. This step helps in eliminating all dirt, sweat, and impurities that might have accumulated on your face throughout the day.
However, most face washes available in the market today are loaded with harsh ingredients like parabens, sulfates, phthalates, artificial colours, and fragrances, etc. These ingredients could strip off your skin’s natural oils and moisture. Therefore, it is a good idea to make your own face wash. But the question is – how?
Don’t worry, we’ll help you! In this article, we will tell you 3 methods of making your DIY face wash, specially crafted for your skin!
What Is A Face Wash?
Before we inform you about the different methods to make a face wash at home, let us first give you a brief explanation of it.
As its name implies, a “face wash” is a gel-based or a water-based cleanser that is used to purify the face. It penetrates deeper into the skin and eliminates all impurities, dirt, grime, sweat and, even make-up, etc., from it, leaving it soft and supple.
How Does A Face Wash Works On The Skin?
A face wash works on your skin in the following ways:
It Removes Dirt And Impurities
A face wash is effective in removing the oil, dirt, and impurities from your skin due to its astringent properties. Moreover, it has a gentle formula, unlike soap, and doesn’t strip away your skin’s natural oils.
It Improves The Blood Circulation
If you gently massage your face with a face wash regularly, the blood circulation on your face will improve. As a result, your skin will appear glowing and voluminous.
It Moisturises The Skin
Washing your face with a face wash helps in maintaining the pH level of your skin. In addition to keeping it hydrated, it also leaves your skin smooth and supple.
It Removes Dead Skin
The build-up of dead skin cells on your face can make it look dull and aged. However, cleansing your skin with an exfoliating face wash will remove this dead skin, leaving your face smooth and glowing.
Homemade Face Wash For Different Skin Types
1. DIY Face Wash For An Oily & Acne-Prone Skin – Gram Flour, Multani Mitti & Tea Tree Oil Face Wash
If you have oily skin and acne-prone skin, you need a cleanser that controls the excessive sebum production in your skin and while also having antibacterial properties to treat acne.
So here is a simple method of making a face wash for oily and acne-prone skin:
- 10 tsp gram flour
- 5 tsp Multani mitti (fuller’s earth)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 5-10 drops of tea tree oil
Method And Application:
- Add all the ingredients in a clean, airtight container and mix properly. Then, close the lid tightly and store it in your refrigerator or a cool and dry place.
- For applying, take a coin-sized amount on your hands and massage it into your face gently.
- Now, soak a cotton towel/washcloth in lukewarm water and place it on your face for steaming.
- After 6-8 minutes, wipe the face wash from your skin with the help of a cotton towel/washcloth.
2. DIY Face Wash For Dry Skin – Oats, Milk & Turmeric Face Wash
Dry skin is prone to itchiness and flaking. So if your skin is dry, then you need a face wash that gently purifies your skin while leaving it hydrated. Follow this easy method of making a face wash for dry skin at home:
- 5 tsp organic milk powder (If you don’t have milk powder, you can use raw milk instead)
- 5 tsp grounded oats
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp lemon peel powder/lemon juice
Method & Application:
- Add all the ingredients in a clean, airtight glass jar.
- Mix them thoroughly and store face wash in your refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- For applying, start by washing your face with water and take a coin-sized amount of the face wash.
- Massage it gently on your face in circular motions; focus more on the T-Zones of your skin.
- Rinse it off with water and pat your skin dry.
While oats have saponins that act as a natural cleanser and helps in getting rid of the impurities from your skin, the lactic acid in milk helps to gently cleanse and hydrate it.
3. DIY Face Wash For Combination Skin – Milk & Tomato Juice Face Wash
If you have been blessed with combination skin, you need a face cleanser that helps to balance your skin’s natural oils and is gentle enough on your skin. Here’s how you can make your face wash for your combination skin:
- 6-8 tsp fresh tomato pulp
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp organic milk
Method & Application:
- Add all the ingredients in a clean container or a spray bottle.
- Mix them well and store this face wash in your refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- For applying, take a small amount on your palm and massage in circular motions on your face.
- Let it dry for 5-10 minutes and wash with cold water.
Because of its astringent properties, tomato juice helps in eliminating the excess sebum from the T-zones of your skin, while milk gently purifies it without removing its natural oils and moisture.
1. How often do I need to wash my face with a face wash?
For healthy and glowing skin, it is recommended to wash your face once every morning and evening. However, you must not skip using a face wash after workout sessions as the build-up of sweat and dirt can clog your pores and lead to breakouts.
2. What should I apply to my skin after face wash?
A face wash can remove your skin’s natural oils and make it dry. Therefore, you should apply a moisturizer shortly after washing your face. Also, the American Academy of Dermatology recommends that the ideal time to apply the moisturizer is when your skin is wet, as it tends to retain moisture.
You May Also Like To Read:
Now that you know how to make a face wash that is natural, economical, and best suited for your skin type, what are you waiting for? Start making it right now to give your skin the love and pampering it deserves. Also, don’t forget to share your experience with us if you follow any of the above-mentioned methods.
Last but not the least, we have also prepared a list of the top 10 best face wash for men that are free from harsh ingredients, so that shopping for a face wash becomes much easier for you!
If you have any other queries or suggestions, drop them down in the comment section. We will get back to you soon!