Is your double chin coming in the way of your picture-perfect moment? If yes, we feel you!
Double chin or submental fat is a common condition for many. It occurs when a layer of fat is formed below your chin. Even if you are healthy and fit, you can have this problem. Loose skin, as a result of ageing and genetics, can be the major reason for having a double chin.
Thus, facial exercises are as necessary as the exercises for other body parts. Trust me, they do work!
You don’t really need to rely upon Botox or other surgeries to take off that double chin. We’ll provide you with some great exercises and treatments you can perform at home to make your double chin disappear.
8 Exercises To Reduce Double Chin
Here are 8 exercises to tone your muscles and strengthen them around the area of your double chin. These exercises will result in increased blood circulation and make the skin tighter. They may also help in getting rid of the problem of wrinkles.
1. Fish Face
Love doing a pout for clicking selfies? That’s it! This is the most common exercise you can do for your jawline. It will provide the overall movement of the face and would also help to reduce the cheeks fat.
You can do this exercise just while sitting during a boring zoom call or doing office work at home.
- For this exercise, suck your cheeks in and out and hold the position for at least 15-20 seconds.
- Repeat it for 10-15 times on a daily basis.
- This will help in tightening the muscles and strengthening them.
2. Jaw Jut
This is yet another exercise to hold back and tighten the muscles under your face. It will help you to provide a perfect jaw line, if done consistently.
Let’s check how it is performed.
- Start with looking towards the ceiling.
- Now move your lower jaw back and forth to feel a stretch under the chin.
- Hold this position for a 20 count.
- Relax your jaw and come back to the neutral position.
- Repeat this set 3-4 times for effective results.
Tip- Hold the position till the time it starts to pain a little. This will be the time when the exercise would really start its job.
3. Stretch Your Tongue!
This exercise uses the muscles of the tongue. It will eventually help to tighten and reduce the fat accumulated on your lower face.
- Roll and stretch your tongue while looking as ahead as you can.
- Lift your tongue upwards and try to touch your nose with it.
- Hold this position for 15-20 seconds and then release.
- Wait for a second and hold this position again.
- Try to take shorter breaks while performing the exercise for better results.
This exercise is the simplest of all. It requires you to make the sound of alphabest ‘X’ and ‘O’ with exaggerated facial movements.
The in and out movement while speaking these alphabest would help to get the required stretch for reducing the double chin.
It is helpful in targeting the muscles between your nose and upper lip.
- Try to make ‘X’ and ‘O’ sounds while stretching as much as possible.
- Hold this position for at least 10-12 seconds and release.
- Repeat this method 15-20 times a day for the best results.
5. Neck Stretch
This exercise will help you to strengthen the muscles of the entire face and will give an overall effect.
It may also help you to provide the desired collar bones.
- Look at the ceiling by tilting your head up.
- Now, press your tongue against the roof of your mouth.
- Hold this for 10-15 seconds.
- Release once you feel the stretch in your neck.
- Repeat this set 5 times at least.
- Increase the number of sets once you get comfortable with it.
6. Use A Skipping Rope!
Skipping plays an important role in reducing your double chin. When you jump, there is a movement around your face. This movement helps in keeping your lower face fat in check.
According to a study, 12 weeks of skipping is more than enough to modify your overall body composition, including your face.
- Do at least 4-5 sets of 20 repeats daily to get effective results.
- Increase the number of sets to 10 once you get a hold of it.
7. Chin Touch
This one is the most effective exercise as it generates maximum tension around your chin area.
Even if you are not able to do it properly, the stretch will give its effect when done regularly and with consistency.
- Stick out the tongue and try to touch your chin to the lowest point you can.
- Keep this position for 8-10 seconds and then relax.
- Repeat it 15 times, making 3 sets of 5 each.
- Take a one-second break after each set.
8. Whistle At The Ceiling
Another exercise to get rid of that stubborn double chin is to make a whistle like face by looking at the ceiling.
- Loot at the ceiling while standing straight or sitting.
- Stretch your face as if you are whistling.
- Hold this pose for 10 seconds.
- Return your head to the original position and repeat it as desired.
- Do at least 4-5 sets of this exercise regularly.
Diet Can Also Help!
The above exercises will be helpful to get rid of that double chin. However, losing your body’s weight by maintaining a healthy diet can also help you to achieve this goal.
Some healthy eating guidelines are as follows:-
- Start your day with lots of water to remove out toxins from your body.
- Eat at least 2 servings of fibre-rich fruits daily.
- Avoid processed foods which are a major reason for putting on weight.
- Eat fats that are healthy like nuts, olive oil, avocados, etc.
- Eat low-fat dairy products in fewer quantities.
- Check your portion sizes whenever you eat something.
- Reduce sugar and salt intake.
- Eat two servings of green vegetables daily.
As the number on the weight scale drops, it would eventually lead to your face getting thinner.
1. How to remove chin fat overnight?
Fat loss from any part of the body cannot be done over a night. It takes effort and consistency to achieve your fitness goal. However, being consistent with the above-mentioned exercises and diet can surely help you to get rid of your double chin with time.
2. How long should you chew gum to get rid of a double chin?
Chewing gum helps to increase the usage of jaw muscles, thus, helping to increase their strength. A 2018 study shows that 5 minutes of chewing gum two times a day can significantly help to reduce your double chin and improve your bite force.
You May Also Like To Read:
Double chins aren’t something that you have to live with even if you don’t want to. People think this is something they cannot get rid of. But, with consistent effort, anything can be achieved.
The above exercises will help you to tighten your face muscles and strengthen them which will eventually help to reduce the double chin and face fat.
However, these exercises are provided as general instruction. If your problem doesn’t get solved then it is best to take professional medical advice. You can consult a doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness program or making any type of changes to your diet or routine.