Protein Powder is essential for one to build muscle power, whereas there is an issue in everyone’s mind: what kind of proteins are dedicated to being the actual muscle boosters. Well, through this article, we’ll clear out each of these six types of Protein Powders and their benefits, pros & cons, with various other comparisons. So you might get a clear insight into the actual reasons for building up a healthy lifestyle by consuming them.
In this guide. We will be looking forward to these different types of proteins as they will portray different kinds of factors and functions. Due to a whole range of proteins, you need to understand the key points. This will help you in selecting the best amongst all.
Types of Proteins
Protein Powder is potent in terms of those people who are health-conscious. They always used to have a scheduled routine, right on the workout, & a choice of protein powder. So Protein powders are the concentrated proteins from animals, plants, dairy, rice. To further classify proteins, they are divided into three types:
- Protein Concentrates
- Protein Isolates
- Protein Hydroslates
This classification of Proteins determines how much the concentration of protein is distributed amongst them. Hydroslates, one of the high protein content, tops the chart, containing 90-95% of its protein content. The best example to determine these Protein Hydroslates is Whey Protein.
While there are several protein powders out there, so let’s take a closer look at their benefits and other several aspects that make them a better supplement.
Whey Protein Supplement
During the cheesemaking process, the separation takes place in the milk and the Whey is separated. Whey Protein has multiple benefits and a few disadvantages that we’ll discuss. Experts reveal studies that best whey proteins help build body mass & several other assistance in activities.
Other than Whey, Casein is also one of the forms of proteins generated and kept aside, but we’ll debate why Casein is not given much more importance than Whey. Before we head on further, let’s look at some of the benefits of Whey protein.
Benefits of Whey Proteins
- First of all, it’s a perfect mixture of all the nine amino acids essential in consuming protein content. Leucine is in the high range.
- Whey protein is essential and benefits you with weight loss & decrement in Cholesterol. Muscle gain with Whey protein signifies that how much a lean towards your body will be generated. While there were experiments to determine the insulin levels amongst individuals who consumed whey protein for 4-5 months & it results in significantly low insulin levels, determining their cholesterol levels down as compared to earlier.
- When these essential amino acids are absorbed into the bloodstream or the red blood cells, they seem to be accessible for muscle building, i.e., creating a new muscle.
- This includes significant health benefits such as Asthama & Blood Pressure which causes hypertension. If whey protein is being mixed with a beverage and getting consumed by an individual, then they seem to help & resolve these health issues.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Whey Protein
These high-quality Whey Proteins are considerably effective only when they have no source of lactose content, which is hard to digest by your body. That too is processed further and eliminated to purify the remaining Whey, known as whey protein hydroslates.
We’ll see the pros & cons. of whey proteins in general & how they sometimes can be less beneficial if you didn’t choose the proper selection of whey protein.
- All in one complete protein is defined as Whey, & to explain it, these are easily digestive proteins & can generate 9 of the essential amino acids out of twenty in our body. Whey protein is the only supplement that can efficiently produce this & help in gaining a lean muscular body.
- The most crucial advantage which plays a vital role in building a healthy lifestyle is ‘boosting Immune System.’ It would be best if you considered whey protein shakes or bars to boost immunity. You must be thinking, how so? Well, cysteine, one of the essential amino acids in whey, is the significant producer of Glutathione. They function to support the immune system by eliminating unwanted bacteria and other viruses.
- Although we know how whey protein can be highly beneficial in terms of many aspects, this is limited to a certain number of people who are not diagnosed with dairy allergies. This can allow them to experience bloating, gas and couldn’t accept the milk protein in their body. There are other recommendations of Protein powders for these sets of people, such as brown rice, soy, pea protein.
- Excessive whey consumption can lead you to process harmful spikes of insulins in your body. Hence, the whey intake should be taken while you’re on a regular workout session every day. This allows you to drain energy and body weight & whey protein supporting you to have a lean body,
We need to mention how whey protein is highly processed and contains several artificial sweeteners, fillers that can be harmful to the body.
This explains how whey protein can be essential for those who need it and rely on it under some conditions. A good Whey hydrolysate shake is Whey Hydrolysate ISO-100 from Dymatize. This protein supplement consists of 100% Whey hydrolysate and contains no sugars and no fat. The protein content is around 85%. Although many hydrolysate protein shakes do not taste good, in my opinion, ISO-100 of Dymatize is the best tasting on the market.
Let’s head on to our next protein supplement & explore everything about it.
Casein Protein Supplement
Yes, we all know that Casein is one of the slowest digestive proteins out there. But, after looking forward to whey protein & understanding how it is eligible for certain people. Just like whey protein, Casein is also originated from milk & further dividing milk proteins, and we see Casein has the highest percentage of milk proteins.
It’s somewhat similar to Whey but differs in the procedure and its speed. There might be a slower rate of digestion, taking a much longer time to process the effects. Let’s find out the benefits, and find out how they are efficient or non-efficient to use daily.
Benefits of Casein Proteins
- Casein provides the same muscle growth to you when compared to whey protein. Although Whey is a fast digestive protein, Casein takes advantage of consuming Casein as your nighttime snack. Due to its slow approach of breaking down, this can efficiently work out while you sleep all night. When Casein is consumed, a gel is formed inside your stomach, which breaks down the amino acids and helps you to generate better muscle growth.
- One of the fantastic benefits which Casein delivers to you is for those who want to lose weight; Casein being a slow digestive protein, it consumes a lot of time and decreases hunger or the feeling of being full appears to be seen. Adding Casein as a part of your diet plan can be beneficial for you to consider.
- If you are wondering, how is it more beneficial than Whey? Then I would say that Casein has the most amazing nutrients including, calcium. If you think that Casein is one of the most considerable milk protein content, there is no doubt of calcium in it.
This allows your body to grow muscles, strengthen bones and revitalise your health.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Casein Protein
- Body Protein levels are higher in terms of Casein consumption, even more than the Whey.
- Just like whey protein, Casein also has all sorts of amino acids present inside them.
- This is an essential advantage for Casein, and they can store or preserve more muscles than Whey. So your muscles can stay in form with Casein intake.
- It promotes weight loss & can boost your immunity growth.
- This is considered not be efficient for the post or pre-workout sessions due to its slow digestive nature.
- It comes under the high forms of sugary products and has less leucine content, unlike whey protein.
- There could be excessive consumption of Casein, as we don’t prefer this as the primary protein supplement.
Pea & Soy Protein Supplement
At the beginning of the article, we told you that there are quite many protein powders that originated from plants & other dairy sources. Until now, we have seen how such dairy created protein supplements like Whey or Casein can be beneficial. But, in this case, Pea Protein can be very unique and helpful for those who are lactose intolerant.
Yes! This is the one for you, and if you are having any sugar allergy & couldn’t consume whey or casein supplements, this can be your way out. Let’s continue further & look at the benefits of Pea Protein Powder.
Benefits of Pea Proteins
- When you look closely into Pea protein supplements, they are the perfect getaway for those who are vegetarians or vegans.
- Pea proteins are highly rich in BCAA & can be considered a slow digestive protein but a faster digestive protein than Casein.
- This is considered to be 100% plant protein, and there won’t be any dairy content used to process it.
- After several experiments, it has been seen that there is a rise in muscle thickness when individuals have consumed Pea Protein as compared to the same amount of Whey for 4-5 weeks.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Pea Protein
- The essential advantage is that it has gluten & lactose-free content and is better than Casein.
- Pea Protein is highly digestive & is rich in branched amino acids.
- This earth-friendly supplement doesn’t allow you to suffer from bloating or gas.
- It is found to be low in fat & has anti-inflammatory features.
- There is a less considerable amount of iron supplement in your body than in animal-based supplements.
- It has a low content of cysteine (one of the amino acids) due to which makes this supplement incomplete.
On the other hand, Soy Protein Supplement is one of the alternative plant-based supplements, which gives a tight competition to the whey and casein protein supplements. The soybean has one the greatest protein content of them all & is used as tofu, soy milk, and various other things.
Soy protein serves as the primary protein supplement for those who are allergic to dairy products, just like for Pea Protein. Let’s elaborate and explore the benefits of soy protein.
Benefits of Soy Proteins
- Besides being complete protein content, with about 90% protein in soy, it also contains all sorts of amino acids, which helps in muscle growth.
- Soy is known for decreasing Cholesterol levels besides providing a ton of protein content for your body.
- The high content of fiber is present in soy protein which resolves all the gastrointestinal issues to keep your intestines healthy.
- There are tons of rich minerals and vitamins, including zinc & iron, in soy proteins. This allows you to improve your health.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Soy Protein
- It helps in reducing Cholesterol and can lower blood fat levels. Their high content of protein helps too.
- Due to the high content of minerals and vitamins, there is a significant advantage to an increment of bone’s mineral density in your body.
- It helps in reducing heart-related diseases, and this can cause minor damage to arteries.
- It can cause concerns over hormonal changes and won’t be worth it for pregnant women.
- It has a low digestive rate as compared to whey protein. This can also lower the thyroid function of the body.
Collagen & Almond Protein Supplement
Collagen Protein is the most crucial protein supplement for your body, as in general, Collagen helps in the elasticity of healthy joints & skin. Collagen is nothing but protein itself & is essential for skin; thus, it is used as a protein supplement too.
Collagen is produced by the amino acids themselves & proves to be essential too, just like Almond Protein Supplement. We’ll now discuss the Benefits, pros, and cons of Collagen Protein Supplement.
Benefits of Collagen Proteins
- There is a larger possibility of increasing your skin health and its elasticity. It also helps in hydration, thus resulting in fewer wrinkles—& dryness.
- The second but essential benefit is that it helps to relieve your joint pain; during the time when you slowly grow older, Collagen protein can help you figure that out.
- Consuming Collagen supplements can reduce the risk of bone disorders.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Collagen Protein
- There are definitely several health benefits that can resolve wound healing, bone disorders, and skin aging.
- It can make you sacrifice all the bone pain & can improve athletic performances.
- Collagen can benefit you with skin, too, by developing new cells in replacement to older ones.
- In reality, it doesn’t give you essential protein elements, as it lacks all the nine amino acids inside it.
- Collagen isn’t a good choice of supplement as compared to soy or pea in terms of plant-based powders.
- Their major focus is on your skin and bone strength, but not on your Muscle strength.
After going through all of the essential protein supplements, we see that there can be enough variety of protein powder, but in order to choose the right one, you need to see what you are looking for. Are you looking for muscular growth or skin health? No matter what it is, these protein supplements can give you immense growth, So choose wisely.
There are many different types of proteins, but the best known is egg protein. Egg protein comes naturally from the egg. It’s a rich resource of BCAAs and L-Arginine. It is often thought by “non-athletes” that a protein shake consists of an egg’s protein. This is because, in old movies, boxers and bodybuilders drank raw eggs.
However, drinking raw protein is quite dangerous because it has been in contact with the yolk. By separating the egg whites and cooking or baking, it can be eaten. Although a raw egg yolk can be dangerous, the egg yolk contains vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids that the protein does not contain. Therefore, the egg yolk does not have to be thrown away.
Would you like to consume egg proteins without first boiling 10 eggs and then separating the egg whites from the yolk? Then Egg Protein from XXL Nutrition is definitely a supplement for you! Egg Protein contains 100% egg albumin and is packed with amino acids. This protein shake is available in vanilla or chocolate, and when you order before 18.00, you will receive it in the house tomorrow!
Nuts and seeds
Nuts also contain a lot of protein; also, they often contain good fats. But, unfortunately, nuts also contain a lot of carbohydrates. So the amount of nuts has to be taken into account. Below is an overview of the number of proteins in different nuts.
- Walnuts: 100 grams of walnuts have almost 15 grams of protein
- Almonds: 100 grams of Almonds have almost 19.5 grams of protein
- Cashew nuts: 100 grams of Cashew nuts have almost 18 grams of protein
- Pistachios: 100 grams of Pistachios have almost 19 grams of protein
Nuts can, of course, be easily bought in the local supermarket, but also through Amazon, you can buy the best quality nuts and seeds.