Why do people prefer conditioning hair? Because a conditioner hydrates and moisturizes your hair. When you style your hair or use chemicals on it, a conditioner prevents your hair from damage and breakages.
But which conditioner should you buy? And what if you do not need to buy? So, read this article to know how not to buy a conditioner and use home products to condition your hair.
You will get to know the magical products and how conditioner smooths your hair cuticle.
13 Homemade Hair Conditioners
Not all hair needs conditioner. People who already have smooth and shiny hair do not need to condition. Especially the treated or damaged hair are prone to dryness and breakages; therefore, they need to soften the strands and strengthen their hair root.
So let us dive deeper to help you out with which homemade conditioner is good for you and how to prepare it.
1. Apple cider vinegar conditioner
Apple cider vinegar is rich in Vitamin E, C, and minerals that lower hair and scalp pH and maintain the lustre and strengthen your hair. It also has an exfoliating agent called alpha-hydroxy acid.
Apple cider vinegar prevents scalp infections and itchiness as it has anti-inflammatory properties.
How to apply it as a conditioner?
- Add 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp honey, two cups water in a bowl and mix them well.
- Apply it only to the hair strands after shampoo.
- And do not rinse it off as we have already added water to it to dilute the vinegar.
You can use it twice a month. And you can also apply apple cider vinegar conditioner by adding,
- 2 tsp guar gum
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp carrier oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 10 to 20 drops of an essential oil
In a container, boil guar gum with water for a minute, add all other ingredients and keep it for cooling. Apply the thick paste to your hair strand as a conditioner. You can use this two to three times a week.
And adding guar gum hydrates your hair and seals the moisture. It also may help to reduce frizziness.
2. Egg conditioner
Our hair needs protein to hold it tight with the roots, and eggs are rich in protein, fatty acids, and vitamins necessary to strengthen hair growth. Also, it has biotin and folate that keep your hair thick and healthy.
How to apply egg as a conditioner?
- Whisk 2-3 eggs and add 1 tbsp vinegar, 2 tsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp olive oil and 1 tbsp honey and mix them well.
- Apply the paste to your hair and scalp. And you can use it twice a week.
Olive oil provides moisture and softness, honey has emollients, and lemon juice acts as a nourishing mask. By not adding all the ingredients, you can paste two eggs and 2 tbsp olive oil and apply it to your hair and scalp.
3. Honey and olive oil conditioner
Honey adds shine to your dull hair and enhances the natural lustre. And on the other hand, olive oil penetrates your hair shaft and preserves moisture. Together, the ingredients work as the best conditioner to soften and nourish your hair.
How to apply it?
- Add 2 tbsp honey and 4 tbsp olive oil and mix it.
- Apply it to your hair and roots and rinse it off with a sulfate-free shampoo within 30 minutes.
You can add 1/2 cup honey with one mug of water and apply it to the hair. After 20 minutes, you can wash it with lukewarm water.
And one more option could be, adding 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp protein powder, ten drops of essential oil, 1 tbsp honey, and three drops of geranium and mixing them well to apply it to your damaged hair.
4. Banana conditioner
Banana has silica that increases collagen to make your hair stronger and thicker. You can get relief from flakes on the scalp. It penetrates deep into the scalp and hydrates and moisturizes your hair.
Banana has natural oils that may prevent split-ends and breakages.
How to make a banana conditioner?
- Blend one banana, 3 tbsp of honey and milk and an egg, and add 3 tbsp of olive oil to it.
- Apply it to your hair and wash it within one hour.
You will get soft and bouncy hair. Instead of the above ingredients, you can blend one banana, 4 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp glycerine, 2 tbsp honey to get a smooth paste. Apply it to your hair and roots and rinse away after 30 minutes.
5. Coconut conditioner
Coconut gives you deep conditioning by penetrating the hair shafts. It prevents breakages and damage and keeps your hair moisturized. Coconut can also prevent dandruff and split-ends. It keeps your hair protected from damage.
How to apply it as a conditioner?
Either you can use coconut oil or coconut milk. First, let us see the coconut oil conditioner.
- Mix 1 tbsp coconut oil, lemon juice, rose water, honey, and 2 tbsp of curd.
- Apply it to your hair and wash away after around 20 minutes.
You can also apply the coconut oil using a wrung-out hot water towel. And to seal the moisture, wrap your hairs with the same towel for at least 45 minutes and rinse with a sulfate-free shampoo.
Also, you can add 1 tbsp castor oil, 1 cup green tea to 1 tbsp coconut oil and apply it to your semi-wet hair.
Now how will you apply coconut milk?
- Make a paste of 200 ml coconut milk (home-made or readymade but natural) and 3 tbsp aloe vera gel ( can use natural). You can add four Vitamin E capsules if needed.
- Keep the paste in the refrigerator for 2 hours to make it creamy and thick.
- And apply it to your hair and scalp.
If the mixture is stored correctly, you can use it for two weeks. And applying a combination of 1/4 cup of coconut milk and 2 tsp each of aloe vera juice, coconut oil and ylang-ylang essential oil also gives a good result by softening your hair.
6. Yogurt conditioner
Yogurt is rich in proteins and has lactic acid; therefore, it works as an exfoliate and cleanses your scalp. It offers nourishment with an increase in healthy hair growth.
How will you apply yogurt as a conditioner?
- Whisk an egg adding 6 tbsp yogurt to it. And massage it to your scalp and hair.
- Or blend one egg, 1 tsp olive oil, 2 tbsp yogurt, and apply. In 15 to 20 minutes, rinse it off with cold water.
- Or mix a tsp each of honey and coconut oil and 2 tbsp of yogurt. Leave it for a few minutes and rinse off.
You will get shiny and smooth, thick hair.
7. Aloe vera conditioner
Aloe vera has Vitamin A, C, E, B12, and folic acid, promoting healthy hair cell growth.
How will you apply it?
- Take 1 tbsp lemon juice, 4 tbsp aloe vera gel, and mix them.
- Apply it to the shampooed hair and wash off after a few minutes with lukewarm water.
- Or blend one banana and pulp of 1 whole aloe leaf and apply it to your hair.
Bananas with vitamin B will prevent hair fall with resulting shine on hair.
8. Argan oil conditioner
It protects the damaged hair and strengthens it. After using a conditioner consisting of argan oil, you will see the shininess and less frizziness in your hair.
How to apply it?
- You can apply warm argan oil as a leave-in conditioner.
- Or, you can make a spray of it in a bottle, adding 1/3 cup filtered water, 1 tbsp of each argan oil, grapefruit essential oil, and geranium essential oil.
The geranium essential oil can prevent dryness, excess oil and keep your scalp healthy.
9. Oats conditioner
The main ingredient, oats, has Vitamin N that keeps your scalp healthy and moisturized.
How to apply it?
- Grind and make a powder of 2 tbsp rolled oats and 2 tsp white rice.
- Add 250 ml milk and heat it together in a container.
- Keep the heated mixture aside to cool down.
- Now, add 1/2 tsp each of glycerine and any oil to it.
- Blend all the ingredients to make it a thick paste.
Apply the paste to your hair as a condition but not on roots, and rinse with cold water.
Rice water has inositol that repairs damaged hair and protects it from further damage. And you will find this method easy as you only need water and rice.
How to use rice as a conditioner?
Whenever you boil rice, use the leftover water of rice as a conditioner for your hair. While taking a bath, gently massage your scalp and hair by pouring rice water. You will get shiny glossy hair.
11. Beer conditioner
De-carbonated beers are used for conditioning as they can repair the damage and increase the volume of your hair.
How to use it?
Directly pour the beer into your hair while you take a bath and massage your scalp well to let the roots absorb it.
Leave the beer for a few minutes on your hair and wash away gently. The hair follicles will absorb the minerals present in the beer and result in shiny hair.
12. Shea butter conditioner
Shea butter is a natural conditioner giving you buttery-smooth hair. Shea has Vitamin A, E, F, palmitic, linoleic, stearic acids and emollients. And you can see that it has all those natural minerals your hair and scalp needs.
How to use it?
- Warm 2 tbsp coconut oil and 1 tbsp shea butter and add 1 tsp argan oil and melt and mix them well.
- Apply it to your hair and scalp warmly and after 30 minutes, wash it away with cold water.
You can add any essential oil to the mixture if you wish to.
13. Avocado conditioner
Avocado has natural oils and many other minerals and nutrients to moisturize and nourish your hair. It is the best option for people with dry or dandruff-prone hairs.
How will you use it?
- Mix 3 tbsp each of almond oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, and 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Apply it to your hair, and you can use it as a leave-in conditioner or wash it after a 30 minutes to the 1-hour gap.
You can make a conditioner on your own using the natural ingredients you have at your home. Conditioner is applied to make your hair smooth, silky, and shiny.
You can make conditioners of apple cider vinegar, banana, olive oil, argan oil, coconut, aloe vera, shea butter, eggs, avocado, honey, rolled oats, rice, and much more. Just add the carrier ingredients following the proper process mentioned above.
We hope you enjoyed reading this article and learned all you were looking for. Tell us which conditioner you found the most effective one in the comment section below.