Are Potatoes A Good Source Of Protein?

Published On:

When we think of potatoes, we usually consider them a type of vegetable packed with high levels of calories and carbohydrates. However, potatoes are a good source of vitamin C, fibre, potassium, and vitamin B6, but what about proteins? We cannot fully classify potatoes are an ideal protein source, but when consumed with a balanced diet, our body does get its protein level boost.

Now, let us closely analyse the question “Are potatoes a good source of protein”? Read on to know more…


Are Potatoes A Good Source Of Proteins?

Potatoes contain about 80% of water, and only the remaining 20% is a dry matter, of which 60-80% is starch in the form of carbs. Given below is an approximate division of the nutrients found in 100 grams of boiled potatoes –

  • Proteins – 1.9 grams
  • Crabs – 20.1 grams
  • Fibre – 1.8 grams
  • Sugar – 0.9 grams
  • Fat – 0.1 grams
  • Water – 77%

From this, we can understand that the protein level is not very high in potatoes. It is not high when compared to crops like wheat, rice, corn, etc., but it is similar to the amount contained in cereals. It also has more protein content than legumes, roots, and tubers. On average, the protein percentage in fresh potatoes is between 1-1.5% and the dry weight comes around 8-9%.

It’s worth noting that there are different types of potatoes and the protein content for each is different. Let us look at the six different types of potatoes we get to buy in the market.


Different Types Of Potatoes And Their Protein Content

1. Russet Potato

Russet Potato

Russet potatoes are also known as baking potatoes and are available year-round. It is an excellent source of Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, magnesium, fibre, iron, and even proteins. A medium-sized russet potato that weighs about 213 grams contains around 4.6 grams of proteins. Adding russet potato to your baked, fried, or mashed food can give you about 9% of the daily recommended quantity.


2. Sweet Potato

Sweet Potato

Sweet potato, a sweet, starchy root vegetable, is considered one of the most nutrient-rich potatoes as it is a rich source of Vitamins C and B6, minerals, antioxidants, and fibres. From 200 grams of baked sweet potato, we get about 4 grams of protein.


3. White Potato

White Potato

White potato is sweeter than russet potato but not as sweet as sweet potato. Compared to sweet potatoes, a white potato has more calories, carbohydrates, potassium, and proteins. However, both have the same amount of fat and vitamin C, but the sugar level is more in sweet potatoes. A medium-sized white potato, weighing about 173 grams, has 4.3 grams of proteins. You can have it simply boiled with a pinch of salt, mashed, or even in salads.


4. Fingerling Potato

Fingerling Potatoes

The fingerling potato gets its name from its small, stubby finger shape. Most people assume this potato is a regular baby potato (hence can’t be consumed), but it is only harvested after fully maturing (so you can consume it). You can pan-fry, roast, or even add it to your salads. We get about 3 grams of proteins from a 148 grams fingerling potato.


5. Red Potato

Red Potato

It has a thin red skin with white flesh, and the skin has a waxy, smooth texture. Due to the waxy texture, the white flesh inside stays firm while you cook it. It can be either roasted, mashed, or even added in salads, soups, and stews. Red potato is rich in Vitamin D, B6, and C, calcium, potassium, iron, and proteins. A red potato weighs 148 grams has about 3 grams of protein content.


6. Yukon Gold Potato

Yukon Gold Potato

This is a medium starch potato that is available year-round. Due to its starch content, it has a creamy, tender, rich flavor when boiled or baked. The best part about the Yukon gold potato is that it does not have any fat or cholesterol content but is rich in vitamin C, potassium, and calcium. A small Yukon gold potato that weighs approximately 139 grams has about 3.5 grams of protein content.


You May Also Like To Read:

High-Calorie Foods To Gain Weight Fast

Foods & Drinks That Can Give You More Energy

Easily Digested Foods | What To Eat And Avoid



Potatoes are not exactly an ideal source of proteins, but if you consume them with a well-balanced diet consisting of legumes and meat products then, potatoes boost your protein intake. Apart from the numerous dishes you can make using potatoes, it has many health benefits like lowering blood pressure and inflammation, maintaining neurological health, and reducing the risk of heart and cancerous diseases.

I hope you found this article helpful. Please feel free to reach out to us through the comment section below.

Leave a Comment